Holiday Toxins and Dangerous Items

posted: by: GVS Tags: "Clinic Specials" "News" 

During the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, it is easy to let your guard down when it comes to preventing toxic exposures to your pet.  While the holidays bring more challenges to the already difficult winter months, we cannot forget about outdoor toxin concerns frequently seen this time of year.  Below is a list of holiday-related decorations, plants and food items that we recommend keeping away from pets.

Holiday Ornaments and decorations:
When decorating for the season, consider your pets.  Holiday decorations such as old-fashioned bubble lights may contain poisonous chemicals.  If a pet chews on them, the liquid inside could be dangerous to their health.Glass ornaments that shine and shimmer are often an enticing toy for your pet.  However, if they were to bite in to, or break one during play, the small glass pieces can lead to lacerations to the skin and mouth, as well as damage to the esophagus and gastrointestinal tract.  Homemade dough ornaments pose a risk for causing elevated sodium levels that may lead to severe neurologic abnormalities.  If any of these types of tree decorations are being used for your tree, it is recommended to keep them towards the upper portion of the tree, where they are less likely to be accessed by your pet.  Many animals develop electrical burns in their mouth from chewing on strands of lights, particularly cats and puppies.

Tinsel:
Another holiday ornament to avoid is tinsel. If you own a cat, toss the tinsel! What looks like a shiny toy to your cat can prove deadly if ingested. While tinsel itself is not “poisonous,” it can result in a linear foreign body when eaten.

Plants:
Though they have a bad rap, poinsettia plants are only mildly toxic. Far more worrisome are holiday bouquets containing lilies, holly, or mistletoe. Even bouquets brought into the house by holiday guests should be thoroughly inspected, as lilies are one of the most commonly used. Just one or two bites from a lily can result in kidney failure in cats – even the pollen and water that the plant is in are thought to be poisonous!

Alcohol:
Most people know not to give alcoholic drinks to their pets; however, alcohol poisoning in pets is more common than you think.  This is because alcohol can be found in surprising places! Rum-soaked fruitcake, or unbaked dough that contains yeast, result in alcohol poisoning and other problems. Rising dough will expand in the warm, moist environment of the stomach and can result in a bloat, which can then progress to a GDV or twisted stomach. Signs of this include vomiting, non-productive retching, distended stomach, an elevated heart rate, and weakness or collapse. Secondly, alcohol from the fermenting yeast is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream and affects pets quickly. Ingestion of alcohol can cause dangerous drops in blood sugar, blood pressure, and body temperature. Intoxicated animals can experience seizures and respiratory failure.

Holiday Foods:
With the holiday season comes a delightful variety of baked goods, chocolate confections and other rich, fattening foods. However, it is not wise, and in some cases, quite dangerous, to share these treats with your pets. Keep your pet on his or her regular diet over the holidays and do not let family and friends sneak in treats. Foods that can present problems include:

  • Foods containing grapes, raisins and currants (such as fruit cakes, breads and cookies) can result in kidney failure in dogs.
  • Chocolate and cocoa contain theobromine, a chemical highly toxic to dogs and cats. Ingestion in small amounts can cause vomiting and diarrhea but large amounts can cause seizures and heart arrhythmias.
  • Many sugarless gums and candies contain xylitol, a sweetener which is toxic to dogs. It causes a life-threatening drop in blood sugar and liver failure.
  • Leftover fatty, meat scraps can produce severe inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis) leading to abdominal pain, vomiting and bloody diarrhea.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to us at Geary Veterinary Services. We are always here for you when you need us.